SBDC GrowSmart™ can align your vision for your business with the steps to get you there, whether you’ve been in business for twenty years or two years. Designed specifically for growing companies, SBDC GrowSmart gives you the tools and strategies to reach your goals. Create a framework to improve the performance of your business and shape the success of your business for years to come.
Click here to submit your application for the Alabama SBDC GrowSmart™ program.
GrowSmart has a proven track record of success, with a curriculum that includes the latest ideas with timeless principles; GrowSmart will propel your business forward!
Work ON your business, not just IN your business! Manage Better, Grow Faster.
- A step-by-step evaluation of your business and markets.
- A hands-on, interactive forum that promotes sharing of best practices.
- Tools to build your business, both now and for the future.
SBDC GrowSmart™ graduates gain:
- A strategic business plan with a long-term vision and strategies.
- A mastery of key business concepts.
- A network of entrepreneurial peers and professional resources.
This program gets results! In full-day weekly sessions, learn to analyze and manage your business like a seasoned CEO*.
*A CEO that has had time to read the very best business books recommended by WSJ, Forbes, Fortune, Inc, and the New York Times.
GrowSmart delivers the most important concepts from these books, and includes real-world stories from a facilitator that has been helping businesses grow for the last 25 years.
- 35 hours of class time covering all areas of business operation
- Evaluate your business, competition, and target markets
- Hands-on, interactive program promotes sharing of best practices
- Expert speakers add insights to the topic of the day
- Step-by-step development of your company’s strategies for growth
Do I Qualify?
Combined with long-term one-on-one consulting with SBDC professionals, learn to apply course principles and build a business for today’s challenging times. SBDC GrowSmart is a dynamic program for owners and senior managers of growing businesses. The program is designed for leaders of companies with:
- At least two years of successful operation
- Annual revenues of $300,000 or more, up to $15 million.
- The opportunity and desire to grow
GrowSmart recognizes the need for flexibility and agility in today’s rapidly changing environment. Using a one-page strategy map designed specifically for this program, participants identify their company’s goals and the strategies to achieve them. GrowSmart was developed by experienced SBDC business advisors, and builds on our extensive experience with Alabama’s growing businesses!
10 Reasons you should attend GrowSmart™
This dynamic program gives small business owners the tools and strategies they need to grow their business.
- Learn how to protect your business from competition
- Develop strategies for profitable pricing
- Learn effective methods for strategic planning
- Connect with customers using the latest marketing and communication tools
- Explore proven methods for hiring, compensating, and motivating your team
- Develop growth tactics based on a thorough assessment of your company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats
- Learn to identify people resources and leadership strategies necessary to achieve your growth plan
- Learn how to analyze your company’s financial condition and develop strategies to improve profits and cash flow
- Assess your current operations and learn methods to document and streamline processes
- Create a financial plan that quantifies the results of your marketing and management strategies
MODULE 1: Planning for Growth
Making strategic decisions requires careful consideration of internal and external factors. You will examine your operating environment, document company vision and goals, and develop growth strategies based on a thorough assessment of your company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
MODULE 2: Marketing: Research, Planning and Implementation
Thoroughly analyze your core competencies and competitive advantages—matching them to needs in the marketplace. Learn to protect your business from competition and develop strategies for effective, profitable pricing. Connect with customers using the latest marketing and communication tools.
MODULE 3: Leadership & Management
Focus on your changing role as the leader of your company. Identify people resources and leadership strategies that will be necessary to achieve your growth plan. Explore proven methods for hiring, compensating, and motivating your team.
MODULE 4: Financial Analysis, Tools & Resources
Learn how to analyze your company’s financial condition and develop strategies to improve profits and cash flow. Create a financial plan that quantifies the results of your marketing and management strategies. Determine how much money it will take to grow the business as well as how to fund it.
MODULE 5: Operations & Implementing Your Plan
Documented, consistent processes are a key to building a scalable, well-managed company that has lasting, transferable value. Assess your current operations and learn methods to document and streamline processes. The program concludes with a short presentation of your one-page plan—and a challenge to put the program’s lessons to work in your business!
Cost / Dates / Times / Location
SBDC GrowSmart™, a premium training class, is available for $795 for the entire 5-module course. Full and Partial scholarships may be available to some companies, and will be awarded at the discretion of Alabama Power’s Supplier Diversity team. For more information, call Mike Brooks at 205-348-1582.
One class is held per week, over a five-week period.
For more information, submit your name in the form below, or call us.
Each class begins promptly at 9am, and concludes at 4pm. Lunch is provided.
- Session 1: Planning for Growth
Tuesday, April 23rd, at Alabama Power
- Session2: Marketing
Tuesday, April 30th, at Innovation Depot
- Session 3: Leadership & Management
Thursday, May 9th, at Innovation Depot
- Session 4: Financial Analysis
Tuesday, May 14th, at Innovation Depot
- Session 5: Operations & Implementation
Thursday, May 23rd, at Alabama Power Company
Training will be held at our Greater Birmingham SBDC office, located in the training room at the Innovation Depot, 1500 1st Ave North, Birmingham, AL, and at the Alabama Power Company.
SBDC GrowSmart – Statewide Sponsor
The Southern Company has sponsored SBDC programs for growing businesses since 2002 in the southeastern United States. Through their support of SBDC GrowSmart™, over 1,700 small business leaders have acquired the tools to take their businesses to a higher level. Alabama Power Company’s supplier diversity initiatives are designed to provide solid business opportunities for small and diverse businesses, including minority-owned, woman-owned, HUBZone, veteran-owned, and service disabled veteran-owned businesses.
For more information about this class or upcoming classes, please call 877-825-7232. One-on-one advising is available at no charge to small businesses.
*Application DOES NOT Guarantee Program Acceptance. Acceptance does not guarantee that the business will be awarded a contract with the Southern Company.
Note: A payment link will be sent to companies that have been accepted into the program. There is no need to pay during the application process.