The government buys everything, and selling to the government can be a profitable venture. Each year the federal government purchases more than $200 billion worth of goods and services. State and municipal governments spend more than $20 billion annually.
In an effort to help Alabama's small business community tap into the lucrative world of government contracting, the University of Alabama hosts the Procurement Technical Assistance Program of Alabama, which is deployed statewide through partner universities. The Alabama PTAC program has been offering procurement technical assistance for over 30 years.
To work with one of our procurement specialists, please complete our online registration form.
Alabama PTAC services include:
- Free Guide to Government Contracting for Alabama’s Small Businesses (see below)
- Bid-Matching Service: The best bids for your company are sent directly to you.
- Procurement Matchmaker Events: Great opportunity to meet the buyers, and to pitch your capabilities.
- Professional Advisors: PTAC Specialists are trained and certified professionals that you can trust.
- SAM.gov Registration: Don’t fall for any scams and pay someone for SAM registration.
- Certifications: HUBZone, Women-Owned (WOSB), SBA 8(a), Veteran owned
- No-Bid Contracts & Simple Acquisition
- DUNS Number: Don’t pay for a DUNS number.
The Guide to Government Contracting for Alabama Small Businesses has been prepared by the Alabama Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) and the Alabama SBDC Network to help small businesses in Alabama win government contracts. The Alabama PTAC provides confidential, one-on-one technical assistance to help small businesses in Alabama expand sales of goods and services through government contracting and strengthen the state's economy.
This guide will help you understand the world of government contracting, what is required to pursue this fascinating business opportunity, and if selling goods and services to the government is a viable option to grow your small business. We strongly recommend that you work with one of our Procurement Specialists to avoid any missteps. Mr. Jerry D. Ellison manages the PTAC program and would be glad to talk with you about procurement opportunities; Please call 205-348-1687.
To download this free guide, please enter your contact information below. A link to the guide will appear below.
This publication was made possible due to the cooperation between several agencies of the State of Alabama, including the Alabama Department of Commerce – the Office of Small Business Advocacy, theState Finance Department- Division of Purchasing, and the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs – Office of Minority Business Enterprises. We express our sincere appreciation for their assistance with the publication, but moreover, their leadership and commitment to assist small businesses to expand.